Optelec unveils ClearReader+, an Intuitive Portable Reading System with instant OCR and Text-to-Speech Technology
July 12, 2010
High-tech portable reader offers low vision and blind people instant text recognition and audio playback by converting printed text-to-speech
Watford, United Kingdom – Optelec Limited
, a world leader in innovative and life-changing assistive technologies for visually impaired people introduces its latest solution, the portable Optelec ClearReader+
, an intuitive reading system in a sleek and retro design. To read any printed text by dictation, the Optelec ClearReader+
combines ease-of-use with high quality multilingual voice output and fast text-to-speech recognition technology.
The Optelec ClearReader+
allows a visually impaired person to listen to any kind of printed material at the press of a button within a matter of seconds. Access to printed documents such as magazines, newspapers, books or a letter from a friend has never been easier. Portable and battery powered, the Optelec ClearReader+
assistive technology device can be used anywhere at home, at school or at work– making it ideal for reading a recipe in the kitchen, reading a book in your favourite chair, reading today’s newspaper in the garden or reviewing bills.
With only five controls, the Optelec ClearReader+
is one of the most intuitive and user-friendly reading devices available for those with low vision, affected by retinal eye diseases such as age-related macular degeneration. To operate, simply switch-on, release the camera arm and place reading material beneath the high resolution camera. Press the scan button to take a snapshot of the text, and in seconds the Optelec ClearReader+
will read the desired text in high quality, naturally-sounding speech.
Additionally, the Optelec ClearReader+
is easily customized to read text at different speeds, in up to twelve different languages and up to twenty-three different voices.
About Optelec Limited
- Camera: High resolution camera with state-of-the-art wide angle optics and integrated object lighting
- Text recognition: High quality multilingual text recognition for the user to click and read in a few seconds
- Languages: Four languages installed; Choose from twelve supported languages including English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Polish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish and Dutch.
- Voices: Support for 23 voices. Choice between male, female and different dialects including Indian-British.
- Battery and Power: Integrated Li-ion battery for five hours of continuous use
- External Buttons and Controls: Forward/backward, play/pause, reading speed, scan, volume, on-and-off
- Connections: Headphone and mains power/recharging
- Foldable carry handle and built-in stereo speakers
Optelec is a worldwide market leader in manufacturing and distributing innovative and life-changing assistive technologies for visually impaired people.
Today, 314 million people worldwide report some form of visual impairment, which is expected to double by 2030 as the ageing population brings rising rates of eye diseases including AMD, glaucoma, cataracts and diabetic retinopathy.
With its global corporate headquarters based in Barendrecht, The Netherlands, Optelec has regional headquarters established in the Belgium, Canada, Germany, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, and United States. In addition, Optelec supports a strong distribution network throughout the United States of America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East with a multitier distribution chain in more than 60 countries to ensure efficient worldwide delivery of its low vision solutions.
Mark Hill - Marketing Manager
+44 (0)7834 463270
Request further information